Well readers, today is a momentous day. Today I get to share something very special. Today I get to show you all my very first Heaven and Earth Designs (HAED) cross stitch finish. That’s right, you read that correctly, after all this time I have only now managed to complete a HAED, and not even one of the large charts.
In all seriousness though I am super excited to be able to show you this finish. This is QS Clara, artwork by Hannah Lynn Disney, and she is a total of 53,235 stitches. I adore how she has turned out.
The standard chart has 4 full A4 pages and 5 partial pages but 2 of the partials are over half a page. I stitched this using a continental tent stitch 2 over 1 on 28ct antique white evenweave. Threads used were DMC, except for a small piece of sparkly Kreinik next to her eye, which was also charted in her chest but I changed it to B5200.
I originally started this project by stitching just the black outline and filling in the coloured areas, which was actually surprising fun. Each section filled in, felt a little like a mini finish and often served as a natural stopping point for a stitching session. It also gave me the opportunity to bounce around a little bit, if I wasn’t in the mood for a lot of confetti I would just move to a section that had some block stitching. Having all the outlining in place meant that I didn’t have to worry about counting errors when moving around to different areas of the pattern.
Her hair was definitely a challenge as there is a large amount of confetti in each section and the alternating colours, which look awesome, mean I was less likely to be able to carry my threads from one section to another. One part of this chart, which I found surprisingly difficult was the label on the bottle. Even though it doesn’t look like much this was just filled with confetti stitches. There are so many different colours here it is astonishing.
My favourite part of the chart to stitch was definitely the hat, with the purple band and blue/green feather. As it is such a feature of the whole image it was really fun and satisfying to see it come together.
I have to admit that there are a number of mistakes in this piece. Often I accidentally stitched a few stitches in the wrong colour, however if the right colour was similar I just left it alone rather than rip it out. I only did this when I really thought that the error wouldn’t be noticeable and there were a very low number of incorrect stitches. Looking at the piece now I couldn’t tell you were any of those mistakes are, the stitches are just too dense and there are so many colour changes in every section.
Clara has now been washed and ironed and is waiting patiently to be taken to the framers, which I am hoping to do sooner rather than later. Since completing her I moved on to another Hannah Lynn which has been sitting in my UFO pile for a while now, Olianna Otter.
If you want to see more work in progress shots of the various projects I am working on, then follow me on Instagram or Facebook, links on the top right of the page. I would love to hear your thoughts on my finish, so please feel free to leave me a comment below.
Thanks for stopping by and Happy Crafting!