Hey all, hope everyone is well and enjoying the month of July. Once again I must apologise for being away for so long. My partner and I have been in the process of attempting to purchases our first house and it has been one of the most stressful experiences of my life. However the stress of the whole process seems to have done great things for my crafting productivity. I have worked on a number of different projects over the last few months, so will have lots to share over the next while.
First on the list though has to be one of my long time WIP’s, Elegance of the Orient. This is a gift for my mother and had been very close to the finish for a long time. What was left to be done however was all the detail stitching, which I just couldn’t seem to settle to. One Sunday I just decided that I would sit down with this project and get as much of it finished as I could. Before I knew it I was adding the finishing touches.
So here she is in all her splendor. My mother now has her and will be choosing the frame etc. There are a couple of things I’m not entirely happy with though. The belt piece on the obi should be off centred to the right and I made an error in the colours of the top rose on the kimono but decided not to rip it back to fix it. While I’m happy enough with the decision not the frog these stitches, I can still tell quite easily that they aren’t as they should be.
I have to admit that I absolutely hated doing the metallic gold back stitching in the under skirt. It was incredibly tricky back stitching on its own without the added challenge of the metallic threads. I found that I had to really concentrate on this section and made so many errors. The effect is undeniably stunning but it’s not something I would look forward to doing again in the future.
This project included a few things I hadn’t done before, including the twisted lazy daisy stitches in her hair. I’m not sure how technically good they are, but I think I did a good enough job that the effect is quite nice. This project had a lot of different techniques in it from cross stitch and half cross stitch to cording and French knots! It was quite a challenging project but it creates a stunning result.
As soon as she has been framed I will get some more pictures to share with you all. For now I have a few more projects to post including my very first HAED (Heaven and Earth Designs) finish! So keep an eye out for more upcoming, right here.